Don’t let the title fool you. To be successful in life is not easy, but the concept is indeed simple. Very simple. So now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s get down to the key ingredients to a successful life:
Now, that may not have been the list that you expected, but this recipe is the foundation for a successful life. Bound by my time and place, of course, and without intent to run over the fact that people and cultures with these ingredients do exist, I am going to claim that one of the main problems in our society today is our passive-aggressive attitudes towards external factors as the cause of our sufferings and our expectation that everyone else has to solve these external factors for us to make us happy.
Where the f*ck did our sense of responsibility go?
How are we supposed to learn and master our lives if everything gets excused and solved for us? Being in regard of society as a collective, where – God forbid – anyone gets offended, and in regard of for example parenting where no limits are set and the children grow up overprotected from the world. Not a lessoned learned. We think we are helping by acknowledging and apparently fixing every individual and/or collective groups issues (acknowledging here meant as not to put up resistance). We give in to everything.
There is a reason why resistance training builds you stronger muscles. It is hard, it can hurt and it creates damage in your tissue, which rebuilds and makes you stronger. The same actually applies to your character. And your life in general. To escape resistance, refuse responsibility and expect and let others solve your problems for you doesn’t do you any good. Quite the opposite. Like a muscle fades away without stimulation, so does your character and the direction of your life. It makes you incapable.
So how do we start our journey towards success?
First of all, we all have to start somewhere. Don’t expect to have your first driving lesson on the freeway. Accept that small steps must be made and that you might not be where you want to be right now, but you will eventually get there. Second: It is a constant process. This is the guide to a successful life:
- Claim responsibility for your life, your actions and your situation.
- Go do what you need to do, to get where you want to be.
- Get rid of the fear of failure. We all start somewhere. Everything is new and unknown in the beginning, this is how we learn. If we knew everything already, then what’s the point?
- Stay humble. It is not how you fail that is most important, it is how you deal and clean up your failure. I’m looping this back to number 1: Claim responsibility – and stay humble!
- Solve problems. Mastering problem-solving is an achievement that will take you: first on a high, and then anywhere! Being a problem-solver is to be unstoppable.
You now have everything you need to bake the cake of a successful life, or at least a magnificent character well on his/her way.
Thank you for stopping by.